The Greater North End Community Development, Inc., formerly known as North End Crime Watch & Community Development, Inc., was started in 1994 by Reverend Joshua A. McClure, Pete Pelchat and Tom Daniewicz to protect and revitalize Westerly’s North End. GNECD’s board members come from many backgrounds and they encourage all “North Enders” to come to the Open Meetings and get involved. Please contact us with your comments, suggestions or concerns.
Our mission is to preserve and revitalize the cultural, social and historic character of the greater North End of Westerly through arts and educational initiatives for children and adults; to advocate for affordable housing and secure neighborhoods; to seek resources for families and the underprivileged; and to collaborate with social service, civic, and other organizations to these ends.
1. Encourage safety and security in Westerly’s North End.
2. Encourage rehabilitation of existing properties.
3. Promote North End Businesses.
4. Promote North End History.
5. Exhibiting pride in the North End by implementing beautification projects.
6. Sponsoring Events to Build Community.
150 acres of Westerly’s “North End” (which includes 243 residential and commercial buildings) was designated the ‘North End Historic District’ and has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.